NHTC Gig-Capable Certification

NHTC receives Gig-Capable Certification from NTCA – The Rural Broadband Association

New Hope Telephone Cooperative Announces Gig-Capable Certification

New Hope Telephone Cooperative is pleased to announce that we have been named a certified “Gig-Capable Provider” and we are ready to celebrate our multiyear effort to bring reliable fiber-based broadband internet service to Grant, New Hope and Owens Cross Roads.

NTCA – The Rural Broadband Association, which represents nearly 900 independent telecommunications companies, awarded the certification. To achieve certification, telecommunications companies must show that gigabit technology is currently available to 95 percent of their service territory and that the service can be provided without additional network construction.

“We are honored to receive this distinction and to join an elite group of broadband providers serving rural America,” says Jim Cook, general manager of New Hope Telephone Cooperative. “This national designation represents not only the hard work completed by our employees, but also this cooperative’s commitment to our community.”

The project to construct the fiber-to-the-home network to New Hope’s 4,900 customers in Madison and Marshall Counties began in 2009. Since that time, the cooperative has invested $30 million in the community. The network gives the cooperative the ability to offer internet speeds of up to 1 Gbps, or 1,000 Mbps, nearly 100 times faster than the average internet speeds nationally.

“It’s quite an accomplishment to offer these incredible speeds for our members,” Cook says. “We are especially proud of the fact that our network covers 100 percent of our service territory. Today, over 95 percent of our customers have already been connected to the new network, and the remaining 5 percent will be connected over the next few months.”

About New Hope Telephone: New Hope Telephone Cooperative is a member-owned cooperative serving about 4,900 homes and businesses across about 300 square miles in northeast Marshall and southeast Madison counties.

About NTCA: NTCA–The Rural Broadband Association is the premier association representing nearly 900 independent, community-based telecommunications companies that are leading innovation in rural and small-town America. NTCA advocates on behalf of its members in the legislative and regulatory arenas, and it provides training and development, publications and industry events, and an array of employee benefit programs.

Click here to learn more about our high speed Internet packages.

Click here to learn more about maximizing your Gig experience.