Outside Plant Technician (Close date 12/08/2020)
Installs, splices, tests, maintains, fiber optic lines and repairs customer premise voice, broadband and IPTV equipment. Wires and connects new equipment. Utilizes testing equipment to determine maintenance and repair needs and completes necessary network repairs.
Essential Job Functions:
- Installs voice, broadband and IPTV services and equipment on customer premises. Wires and connects new equipment as appropriate, explains equipment and services and answers customer questions
- Maintains and repairs existing voice, broadband and IPTV customer premise equipment by testing to locate trouble, then determines and completes necessary repairs. Participates in on-call rotation
- May confer with customers to further determine problems and acceptable resolutions
- May place direct buried cable or aerial cable by operating plowing, digging, trenching, and/or aerial lift equipment.
- Maintains buried cable by testing and repairing cable, performs related construction tasks as required
- Performs all other related duties as assigned by management*
*This job description is only intended to reflect the general nature and duties of the position and may not include all essential functions. Since jobs tend to change over time, duties may be added or deleted as necessary without a formal update of the job description.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of telecommunications industry
- Knowledge of voice, broadband and IPTV technologies, and equipment
- Knowledge of structured wiring and programming of customer equipment
- Knowledge of RUS practices and standards
- Knowledge of company products and services
- Knowledge of company policies and procedures
- Skill in operating service and testing equipment
- Ability to communicate with co-workers and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as diagrams, schematics, instruction manuals, blueprints and specification sheets
- Ability to follow safety policies and procedures
- Ability to evaluate, test and repair sophisticated equipment
- Ability to work independently and make sound technical decisions using information at hand
- Ability to effectively function as a team player
- Associate’s Degree in Telecommunications or Networking, or equivalent work experience
- Experience in performing splicing and OLTS/OTDR testing desired
- Working knowledge of inside and outside plant fiber optic network infrastructure, engineering design and aerial/underground construction.
Certifications, Licenses, and Registrations:
Must have, or be able to obtain, and maintain a valid Class A – Alabama driver’s license, have an excellent driving record and be insurable under the Company’s policy carrier. Experience preferred.
Resume submission required. Please submit resume electronically to:
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org