Parental Control Tips and Tricks: Keeping Children Safe in an Online World
As not only your local Internet Service Provider, but also your friends and neighbors, we understand the importance of keeping our children as safe as possible while on the Internet. That’s why we have put together the following tips to help you keep your kids as safe as possible. Please note that these tips and tricks are intended to help you protect your children, but nothing takes the place of keeping a watchful eye on what children are doing while online.
- OpenDNS is a FREE web content filtering service that protects your network from phishing and malware sites, as well as blocks offensive and questionable sites.
- To set up an account with OpenDNS:
- Visit www.opendns.com and select the “Learn More” button in the “Personal” box.
- Click on the “Get Started” button beneath Parental Controls.
- Click on the “OpenDNS Family Shield” tab and select “Sign up Now”.
- If you feel that you are more tech-savvy and would like to customize your filtering and security, you can sign up for OpenDNS Home.
- You may also sign up for the paid version of the service if you wish and you will be able to block any site using the OpenDNS portal. To do so, you would select “OpenDNS Home VIP” and set up an account. OpenDNS charges $19.95 per year for this service.
- Once you have entered your email address, you will then see the Family Shield nameserver numbers (OpenDNS numbers).
- Should you need assistance configuring these DNS numbers in your router, do not hesitate to contact NHTC. Call 256-723-4219, and we will gladly walk you through this process over the phone. If you prefer, we will schedule an appointment for a technician to come to your home and help you with the configuration process. Service charges may apply.
- If you recently purchased a Comtrend Router from NHTC, you should find configuration instructions in the router package. If you do not have the configuration instructions, please contact us.
- If you purchased your router elsewhere, please locate the configuration instructions for your particular router in the “Support Forum” section of the OpenDNS website. If you need assistance, please contact us.